My box is...

. . . . . A repository for my daily thoughts, rants, writings and ramblings be they prose, poetry, political diatribe or review. How do I get all that on one page? It's bigger on the inside of course.

Monday, April 11, 2011

Chinese-ing

Chinese food is so much more than just tummy filler. My friends and family have always had a tradition of “Chinese-ing”; heading out to a Chinese restaurant with as many people as possible for a meal. Where else do you conspire with your table mates to order so that food can be shared by all? It’s almost bad form to order the same dish as someone else.  

Chinese-ing is about spending time with your friends or family, chatting, laughing, sharing food and trying new things. I remember sitting with six or seven friends in a little Hunan place in Fairport New York on a lovely summer day. Great food, plates being passed round the table, plum wine and the owner quizzing the table next to ours about the animals typically used in Chinese food to which one of my friends meowed like a cat. The owner, without breaking stride, turned about and said “Meow? No.” and had us in stitches. It’s one of my fondest Chinese-ing memories…along with being nabbed by the cops in the park outside the restaurant later that night and watching them sniff all our drinks. They just couldn’t believe we were that cheerful and rowdy AND sober.

Other great memories: Introducing my Dad to War Dip Har over a pot of Chinese tea and watching the awe on his face. It’s a sinfully divine specialty of my favorite Chinese place here in Columbus, Golden Phoenix. How can you not love bacon wrapped, battered and deep fried shrimp in sweet and sour over a bed of onions? Thumb wrestling over the last Crab Rangoon, watching friends fumble with chopsticks and the waiters trying not to snicker, watching my husband’s grandmother argue with my Pad Tai noodles while I swipe bites of her War Su Gai.

It’s quite possible Chinese-ing could be the solution to world peace. Imagine if we could get all the world leaders around a table, sharing eggrolls and betting who can use chopsticks better. One pot of tea shared by the right people and suddenly you have peace in Gaza…okay maybe not but it’s a thought worth having.

Chinese-ing, whether in a restaurant or at home, is meal with a mission. You can’t help but smile and feel good. Having a bad day? Some tea and a few crab Rangoon will make you smile. Well it makes me smile. Time to convince Himself that it’s Chinese night at home tonight. I’ve a craving for some Stir Fry and he makes the best.

Happy Chinese-ing!

No comments:

Post a Comment